Composing A Scene in Unity for Cutscenes
How to compose a scene in Unity Timeline for cutscenes?
I created this Sleeping Guard Cutscene using Timeline. Below you see what I used to create this.
We go through these Tracks one by one to see which does what and why it’s in the Timeline.
- Cinemachine Track. (Main Camera)
- We add our Main Camera then we add our Cinemachine Cameras on the Timeline. This helps us to change the camera view from OTS_Shot to Mid_Shot
- Animation Track (Actors)
- This Animation Track has our Sleeping Guard Animation
- Now we can easily check how the animation looks and when we change the camera view
- Animation Track (OTS_Shot)
- We animated our OTS_Shot camera to move from position A to position B which is right above Darren’s shoulder.
- This can be easily done by using the Record button which is the Red Circle in the Animation Track
- You click the Record and you create these keyframes by going in a specific frame or second and then you move the object or rotate it
4. Activation Track (Key Card)
- This activation Track is for the Key Card which Darren takes from the guard.
- Once he takes it, we then deactivate the card so in the camera view it looks like Darren took it.
- We only need the Active track to be where we want it to be active.
5. Animation Track (Fade Alpha)
- We create a fade from Black to Alpha for the start of the Cutscene.
- First, we create Canvas and a fully black image, and using record we make it fully visible in the beginning and after few seconds to fully transparent.
6. Animation Track (Mid Shot Look At)
- This animation track is responsible for the camera going down and up in the last seconds of that cutscene
- Again I used the Record to create this effect
Now we have gone through our tracks from the Timeline which creates our beautiful cutscene :)